• question-icon

What are the chances of HIV transmission through a needlestick injury?

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Question: I am a Dentist and earlier today got a very slight needleprick (as opposed to a "stick" through my slacks in my anterior thigh. I had just given the patient an infiltration in the mucobuccal fold (a 30 ga. needle). There was no sign of any bleeding when I checked my leg (about 3 minutes after the incident). The patient did have some slight bleeding from the injection site after I withdrew the needle. Do you think I have reason for concern?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Absolutely nothing to worry about in my opinion sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

I choose to answer this query like the previous one after reading the extra information you added sir, so here are my notes:

+If the patient was indeed HIV-positive, then the chances of transmission were about 1-2 %

+For those 2 % chances to exist, there should have been blood present on the needle when the prick took place, which from your query shows, was not present; which further reduces the chances of transmission

+And with the added (confirmed) information of the woman knowing here HIV-status, and stating very assuringly that she is not HIV-positive, your chances fall to a non-existent category

So as stated in my previous query sir, there is absolutely nothing to worry about in my honest opinion. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan