What are the chances of HIV through used needles?
during an allergy prick test I got one spot of petechiae on the area of my pricked skin. No blood came out though. The needle was cleaned for 2-3 seconds with a spray disinfectant and a cotton for HIV before it pricked my skin. The writing on the disinfectant says that it kills viruses incl. HIV in 15 seconds. Is it possible for HIV to get transmitted in this case?
Thank you for your reply.
Thanks for your query.
Please make it clear that needle was used only for you and no one else.
If the new needle was used, and only for you, there is no chance that you can contract HIV.
No is allowed to use used needles at all. But the same needle can be used for you. The cotton must been used for you alone. so no chances at all.
Please feel free if you have further query or some doubts just in case you feel that there is a communication gap.
I'm not sure if the needle was used by me alone, since it wasn't in any package before and it was not discarded to a trash bin or anything after my use.
But the cotton was new and only used by me. As far as I could remember, I also found no blood on the needle.
Also, is it possible that the petechiae was an allergic reaction from the histamine, instead of due to the pricking from the needle?
Please confirm with the Person who did tests.
Thanks for your feedback.
As a rule no needles are reused for another patient. Please confirm with the Practitioner about your doubt, whether the new needle was used or not.
Fortunately the HIV virus do not thrive in dry conditions at all.
It is unlikely that they used old needle on you. The used needles become blunt enough to be reused.
Good the cotton was new.
Yes, it is very well possible that the petechiae was a reaction, an allergic one - this is basically only edema, but occasionally can have micro-bleeding giving this appearence
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pins and needles hiv
- What are my chances of contracting hiv
- What is dna pcr useful for hiv
- Hiv needle pains on palm
- Hiv transmission stepping on needle
- Hiv transmission sewing needle
- Hiv from a needle prick
- Poked with used electrolysis needle chances of hiv or hcv
- Needle pricks and hiv aids
- Chance of getting hiv through needle
- Is testosterone injections safe to improve libido?
- Will scratching my finger with a nail post cause any infection?
- Will Tramadol help in having normal stools post colectomy?
- Why am I having severe eye pain and blurry vision after taking...
- What causes stomach pain and blood in stool?
- Can continuos cough be symptoms of whooping cough?
- Suggest treatment for Low testosterone level and High TSH level?
- Suggest treatment for bloating and difficulty in passing urine when...
- Ia it normal to have foot pain post bunion operation?
- What are the different treatment options for uncontrollable bowel...