What are the chances of HIV through manicure cuts?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I visited a nail salon today. The manicurist cut me a big cut in my toes by his tools. Is there any risks of HIV? Do I need to do the HIV test? are there any risks for other infection?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Transmission rate in such cases is low.

Detailed Answer:

Chances of getting infection like HIV are quite unlikely with such cuts.

First the tool should have cut some HIV patient recently.
Secondly on dry tool surfaces HIV does not survive for long.

So though there is theoretically chance , but its very unlikely to get HIV infection like this.

But chances of bacterial and tetanus infections are high.So if not protected for tetanus, get a vaccine.Keep wound clean and use local antibiotics.

Also keep a photograph of wound for record.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju