What are the chances of HIV through contact with spilled blood?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I have a question ...... I had a Blood Blister on my finger and it popped and is now open ... I put a Band Aid on it and .... took it off when I slept at night ... In the morning I put a band aid on it again to take something out to my car ... when I took the band aid off ... It was open again ... so I didn't do any activities today ... So my question is If I pt a band aid on it and do daily activities
... Will a 100% Waterproof band aid protect and prevent me from getting HIV through this injury .... ???
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chance of acquiring HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query.I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.

It is important to bear in mind that HIV may live for some time outside the body, HIV transmission has not been reported as a consequence of contact with spillages of blood, semen or other body fluids(even if from a infected person).

There is no chance of HIV Virus coming in contact with your daily activities.
There is no chance of acquiring HIV infection if you do all the daily activities that too with a band aid.
You can do all your daily activities without fear with band aid.
Allay all fears of HIV.
You can get back to me for any clarifications .
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 37 minutes later
What do you mean by
Allay all fears of HIV ??

I am sorry I didn't understand that ....

Thank You ...
XXXXXXX

Oh and HIV will not penetrate through( or go through) a band aid ?? .....

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
There is no possibility of any source of HIV during daily activities.
Next once you have a closed wound that too covered with a band aid.HIV cannot enter the open wound through the band aid.
Do not fear about HIV transmission by this route.
You can get back to me for any clarifications else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 30 minutes later
I understand that once you have a closed wound and a band aid HIV cannot enter the wound .....

But every time I take the band aid off it is also pulling my scab off too....

So my question would be ... I am using a 100% waterproof Band Aid made by Band Aid .....

So I am putting this 100% waterproof band aid over my open wound ....

So I have an open would and I have this 100% Waterproof band aid over covering my open wound .... I am just making sure this band aid will protect me and prevent me from getting HIV through this injury ......

Even with the band aid covering the open wound ... the virus cannot penetrate through the band aid and into my open wound ... Please help me understand ....
so I can do my daily activities without Fear ....

Remember my wound is not scabbed under the band aid but it is a 100% water proof band aid and my wound ( open blood blister ) is fully covered by the 100% Waterproof Band aid ,....

Am I 100% safe ??

Thank You,
XXXXXXX
Brief Answer:
100% safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
There is no possibility of any source of HIV virus during daily activities.
Fresh band aids do not contain Virus.
open wound is closed by the band aid.
So open wound has no way of getting access to Virus.
You are getting too anxious about this route which has never been reported.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
I understand that Fresh Bandaids Do Not contain the Virus ....

I just wanted to make sure that HIV will not penetrate through ( or go through) a band aid ?? .....

And that I was able to do my Daily Activities and be Absolutely 100% Safe and cannot get the HIV virus though anything described above.....

And by wearing the Band Aid over my open wound with a 100% Water proof bandaid that I was Absolutely 100% Safe ..... and it is Absolutely 100% Impossible to get HIV this way.....
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes 100% impossible for HIV transmission

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I reiterate that it is 100% impossible for this route transmission for daily activities.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 7 hours later
I worded my question wrong .....

Here is the right question:

And by wearing the Band Aid over my open wound with a 100% Water proof bandaid that I am Absolutely 100% Safe ..... and it is Absolutely 100% Impossible to get HIV this way.....

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
100%impossible through band aid.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
You are 100% safe by wearing 100% water proof bandage on a open wound if it 100% covered by this bandage and it is 100% impossible for virus to penetrate bandage
provided
there should be no gap or holes or tears in it which can lead to direct entry of any infective organism including HIV if found in the infective material.
In day to day activities it is most unlikely to have this virus in environment.
Hope you have cleared your clarifications.
You can get back for any clarification else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 2 hours later
http://www.band-aid.com/products/active-lifestyles

I use the Active Flex Band hiv/253657?iL=true" >aids ..... for Band Aid Brand .....

These Band Aids are 100% Waterproof .....

So I guess my question is by wearing the Band Aid Brand Active Flex Band Aid over my open wound with a 100% Water proof bandaid .... Just making sure that I am Absolutely 100% Safe ..... and it is Absolutely 100% Impossible to get the HIV virus this way.....

I am sorry if I seem repetitive but I am just truing to find peace of mind to be out in public and by wearing the Band Aid Brand Active Flex Band Aid over my open wound with a 100% Water proof bandaid .... Just making sure that I am Absolutely 100% Safe ..... and it is Absolutely 100% Impossible to get the HIV virus this way.....

Thank You for your Time ..... Again, Just making sure that I am Absolutely 100% Safe ..... and it is Absolutely 100% Impossible to get the HIV virus this way.....

Blessings, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
100% impossible through band aid

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query. Thank you for your blessings.
It is my pleasure to answer your doubts.so that you can have peace of mind.
I went through the brand suggested Active Flex Band Aid .
These are waterproof, have strong adhesive so they are less likely to fall off.
So more good and safe for you.
You are 100% safe by wearing 100% water proof bandage on a open wound if it is 100% covered by this bandage and it is 100% impossible for virus to penetrate bandage.
I again reiterate HIV does not spread by daily routine activities.
There will not be source for virus in your environment.
Please clear your anxiety over this issue.Relax do some meditation or yoga which may be of help to you to relieve your anxiety
Hope you have cleared your doubts.
Wish you good health
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
I will need to re-ask you my question -- because I had made some errors and had some mis-spelled words and I would like you to understand me fully :

I use the Active Flex Band hiv/253657?iL=true" >Aids ..... from Band Aid Brand .....

Thank You Again...

Blessings, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Safe 100%

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query and blessings.
It is safe 100% . don't bother, relax .meditate .
You can get back if any other clarification needed.
Please close this discussion if no other clarification is needed and rate.
Wish you good health
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 4 hours later
Help me with this by telling me if you believe this to be Absolutely 100% True ..

You are 100% absolutely safe by wearing 100% water proof bandage on a open wound if it is 100% covered by this bandage and it is 100% impossible for virus to penetrate bandage. Absolutely 100% Safe

100% Impossible to get the HIV virus this way by the virus going through the Band Aid while I am doing my every day to day daily routine activities .....

I'm sorry I am having a tough time with this ......

Thank You & Blessings, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
100% impossible through band aid

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
I still reiterate

100% Impossible to get the HIV virus this way by the virus going through the Band Aid while doing every day to day daily routine activities
I hope you are convinced.please remove all anxiety forget it and go ahead with your routine activities.
Wish you good health
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D