What are the chances of HIV infection after unprotected intercourse?
Please consult a HIV testing centre and get tested as per guidelines
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in details.
Without using a condoms you have put yourself in to risk of HIV after having unprotected sex with a prostitute.
You should avoid having unprotected sex if the sexual health of your partner is unknown.
HIV does not have any specific symotoms and it may not show up in blood tests till about 6 months after infection. Your severe ulcer might not be related to HIV if you have these symptoms from before. However if your symptoms do not get cured with medications then it becomes a concern for HIV. Any new symptoms should also be discussed with your doctor.
The HIV virus can be transmitted from vaginal fluids to penis and this risk is about 1 in 10000 incidents of unprotected sex. However you should not neglect yourself and get tested at a HIV testing centre.
There are many test available including PCR RNA test and HIV 1 and 2 antibody and p24 tests.
There are guidelines formulated by health authorities and one such famous authority is the Center for Disease Control CDC in USA. It is important that you get the HIV antibodies testing done at 3 months and 6 months after the unprotected sex incident. The 6 months test has accuracy of more than 99.5 percent.
Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Chances of hiv infection after having sex with prostitute
- What are the chances of a circumcised man getting hiv infected
- Is there any chances of getting hiv infection
- What are the symptoms of hiv infection
- Should i be concerned with hiv infection after unprotected intercourse
- Chance of hiv infection
- Chances of hiv infection female to male
- What are the symptoms of acute hiv infection
- Chances of getting hiv infected person
- Are there any chances of hiv infection after protected sex