What are the chances of HIV infection after protected sex?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi,
i had protected sex ( 2 condoms) (condoms did not break) with a prostitute about 7 weeks ago . I could not discharge, she removed the condoms and then i started to self masturbate. She touched my penis , holding it sometimes (maybe she had vaginal fluid on fingers.)
next morning when i woke up i found a blod clot or maybe cut on my penis, but no blood was visible outside ( on the area where the thumb presses penis, while masturbation) , My question is am i at risk of hiv or std. i did not perform any othe sexual activity other then mentioned above.Pls answer, iam very very nervous ...
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Risk of STDs/HIV transmission is almost nil.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
Welcome to health care magic. I have gone through the details.
As the intercourse is protected, the chances of HIV or STDs transmission is nil.
The possibility of vaginal secretions coming in contact with penis is almost nil, by the mode described.As there is no open wound the chances of transmission is almost nil.
She may be negative for STDs and HIV .You can get her tested for STDs/HIV.
You can go for STDs test to relieve your anxiety.Further tests may be done if any symptoms develop.
The possibility of STDs/ HIV transmission is almost nil.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Dermatologist and venerologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 11 minutes later
what about this blod clot on the penis , that appeared later in the morning, as iam sure when i slept i did not find anything unusual. Was it due to harsh rubbing of penis by me to masturbate. ?
Also the girl touched my penis sometimes. what it she had some vaginal discharge on her fingers and this discharge touched the area , which had the cut/clot in the morning. pls advice
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clot may be due to friction .

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.

Injury or friction might have caused clot.
Clot may be formed without having a cut.As there is no open bleeding wound,the chances of STDs/ HIV is almost nil.
There are chances of transmission of STDs if open bleeding wound/ cut comes in contact with infected secretions.
You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 12 minutes later
Thanks a ton Doc!
So i can return to my normal life, now ?? which had been messed up upto now...??
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get the STDs tests done and then can lead normal life.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.

Though the chances of STDs and HIV is nil.You can just get tests done ,to relieve your anxiety.
Then you can lead a normal life.It is better to be safe.
You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 33 hours later
Hi as my exposure is 7 weeks and few days old, as mentioned before, which tests you suggest? Can I take the oraquick advanced rapid hiv 1&2 test? Or some other . Pls suggest

Rgds
Brief Answer:
Oraquick test will be helpful but not conclusive.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.

You can go for routine STDs tests done at your set up.
Regarding HIV tests, oraquick test will be helpful but may not give conclusive results at this stage.
You can go for HIV1&2 RNA PCR at this stage if available.
Later after 3 months antibodies test (Elisa for hiv1&2 antibodies) will be conclusive.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist