What are the chances of HIV from female to male?

Dr. Binod Kumar Pati

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi I had unprotected sex with a stripper what are the chances of female to male transmission of HIV. I also want to know since it's been 5 weeks if I should get tested now and if it's reliable
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Best to test after 3-6 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.

Yes, you can test it now. But testing at the end of 3-6 months post exposure will be more reliable.

Rate of HIV transmission from female to male has not been studied for all population. How ever, it has been estimated that the per-act rate varies from 0.04% to 0.38% in serodiscordant couples (one partner was infected and the other was initially uninfected) in the absence of commercial sex exposure.

Hope I was able to throw some light.

If you have more query, feel free, I will be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 2 hours later
Thank you so much one man told me the likelihood was over 60% so I was really scared. This is a lot lower and the estimate is for if my partner is infected correct?

How reliable is a rapid test in 5 weeks? Just curious

Also I have no symptoms so far that is HIV related but I have one red spot on my forehead i don't kno if it's a pimple or not can you shed some light on that
Brief Answer:
Rapid tests have more thanaround 90% sensitivities

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome once again.
The risk of HIV transmission depends on routes of exposure and viral load in the partner. Heterosexual route is a less efficient route in comparison to blood transfusion. Again in vaginal intercourse, female to male transmission is less efficient than male to female.

The data which I have written was among couples where one partner is HIV positive and the other was initially uninfected. It did not include those of commercial sex exposure.
Sensitivities of rapid tests varies between 90% to more than 95%.
The skin lesion on forehead does not correlate with those of HIV/AIDS. For confirmation do visit a dermatologist and take opinion.

My advice will be to always practice barrier protection, whenever you are indulging with such acts with a unknown.
Please stay safe and write to me anytime you need my assistance, do not hesitate.
Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
I understand the statistics can change based on the viral load. But I was wondering even if worst case scenario the partner is positive my chances won't be over 60% just to confirm on that sorry. And my question about the rapid test was if it's accurate around the 5 to 6 week mark after exposure? Sorry if I seem to be asking redundant questions
Another quick question what percent of people show early HIV symptoms? And what time period do they usually occur I saw on aids.gov and other notable medical websites that it is 2-6 weeks is that fairly accurate
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
50-70 % HIV infected develop acute HIV syndrome.

Detailed Answer:

All the test which detect antibody against HIV (Rapid kits) perform best after 3 -6 months.
Around 50 -70% of individuals with HIV infection experience an acute clinical syndrome 3–6 weeks after primary infection.

From among 10000 serodiscordant couple 4- 38 get infected from their partners. Interpretation of statistical data should be done with caution. Because for those 4-38 out of 10000 couples, the risk was 100%. So get yourself tested after 3-6 months postexposure and stay confusion free.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Have a nice day.
Follow up: Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 56 minutes later
Do u mean 38 people or 438 people I did not understand?
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
See previous answers to this thread.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome back.
I was just explaining the data which I have written in previous answer.
0.04% to 0.38% means 4 to 38 per 10000 serodiscordant couples. They were transmitted after a single coital act with their infected partner.

Hope it is clear now. In case, any more querry, Feel free to ask.

God bless.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju