What are the chance of pregnancy after protected intercourse?

Posted on Mon, 6 Oct 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: hi i am 18 and about a month ago i had protected sex with my boyfriend twice during that month (both of the times protected. the condoms didn't rip or anything. i am now a week late and feel tired, have frequent headaches, sometimes feel dizzy and have a queazy stomach but i haven't thrown up. i have been stressed a lot lately .. could that be it? i have some cramping on my lower back sometimes near my pelvic area. I'm really scared of being pregnant .. i don't think i am, but i have a feeling i could be.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DO ONE HOME PREGNANCY TEST TO CLEAR DOUBT.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comment:

1) Condom has failure rate around 15 to 27%. However, it depends on your ovulation time and condition of the condom after sex.

2) Late period may be due to hormonal imbalance and excessive mental stress. I suggest you to undergo one home pregnancy test to clear your doubt. It will be best thing to release extra stress.

3) On NEGATIVE test, you may require progesterone pill for 3- 5 days to induce period. In that case, you should consult with your doctor for prescription.

4) Take healthy balanced diet, avoid stress by regular meditation, keep bowel habit regular and maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future.

Dr S Patra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist