What are the chance of exposure to HIV through protected sex?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi doctor, i had sex in london with escort in london about a month ago. But i only had penetration with durex condom on and only for 30 mins or maybe less. But i only had protected penetration so there wasn't oral, kissing or anal. I feel fine but i'm little worried about this kind or stuff. I need for your consult doctor
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

I had gone through your history in detail. Chance of exposure to HIV through protected sex with Escort,using condom,is always less but it varies. It depends on HIV status of the Escort and durability of condom.

So my comments are as follows:
1) If she is HIV negative,then there is no chance of HIV transmission to you at all.
2) If she is HIV positive, then protected sex (using latex condom) can reduce transmission nearly about 78-80%.
As her HIV status is unknown,it is advisable to do a blood test for HIV 1 & 2 initially and if the result is negative,you repeat the test after 3 months to clear doubt from your mind and keep in safe side.

You also know the route of HIV transmission to take safe precaution in the future.
These are as following:

1) Sexual intercourse (Vaginal/anal) with infected person. Involvement in anal sex has higher chance of HIV transmission as compared to vaginal sex.
2) Sharing needles/syringe for drugs or anything from infected one
3) Mother to child transmission during pregnancy or childbirth.
4) Transmission through donated blood/clotting factors.
5) Transmission through saliva/urine/tear drop in low percentage.

There is no chance of HIV transmission in case of shaking hands, casual kissing, sharing foods/utensil/toilets with HIV positive one.

Please consult with your doctor and take suggestive measures according to reports.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you better health and give a feedback.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 25 minutes later
What if i had hiv or std is there a cure or treatment. Is there symbotoms you could tell me about ?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Thanks for follow up query.

Several symptoms are there but presentation is different in respect to HIV & other STD.

In case of HIV,following symptoms are appeared:
1) Flu like symptoms within one to two months in majority of people.
2) Low to high grade fever,fatigue,sore throat and lymph node enlargement
3) Body aches,joint pain,headache,weight loss,nausea,vomiting & diarrhea.
4) Skin rash may be early or in late phase,night sweats & nail changes.
5) Dry cough,pneumonia,yeast infection,loss of concentration.
6) Cold sore,genital herpes,general weakness etc.

Here body immunity is compromised and it leads to develop AIDS.Several disease may be mixed up or get easily infected with other opportunistic infection.

AIDS is not a curable disease but serious complication can be prevented by taking either Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) medication or Anti Retroviral Therapy (ART). Evaluation of periodic CD4 count is needed in such cases.

In case of other STD,following features are appeared:
1) Sometimes asymptomatic
2) Urethritis and urethral discharge
3) Painful urination or sexual intercourse
4) Painful or swollen testicles
5) Sometimes itching around penis/ anus.

Gonorrhoea,Chlamydia and Trichomoniasis are included in other STD besides HIV. These are treated easily and eliminated by complete course of antibiotic and proper hygiene.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish your better health.

Follow up: Dr. S Patra 57 minutes later
Hi Doctor. So for bothering you again i just want to understand that hiv/stds is cureable am i right or wrong ?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 16 minutes later
Thanks again for follow up query.

Among the STD, HIV/ AIDS is not curable and it is just preventable with drug therapy to reduce serious complication.

Other STD like Gonorrhoea,Chlamydia and Trichomoniasis are treated easily and cured or eliminated by complete course of antibiotic and proper hygiene.

You can rule out your HIV status by doing a simple blood test for HIV 1 & 2 to clear doubt. Please consult with your doctor.

Wish you good health & Practice safe sex in future.