What are the causes, treatment and prognosis of systemic colitis?

Dr. Shanthi.E

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What is Systemic Colitis and what are the causes, treatment and prognosis?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 10 hours later

Systemic colitis is a broad term used to describe inflammation of the colon associated with clinical manifestations outside the colon as well.

The causes could be many: infectious, autoimmune, inflammatory, ischemic, immune deficiency states, allergic, drugs, etc.

Treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Prognosis is excellent for infectious cause and drug induced colitis, moderate outcome in inflammatory and allergic states, and bad prognosis for ischemic colitis.

I read in your medical history that there is sudden onset of the symptoms. The cause could be infectious in you. There is rectal bleeding as well on colonoscopy.

Is it possible to upload or write the full colonoscopy report? You have a feature to upload the reports by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

Please do ask me specific questions, if any.