What are the causes other than presence of clots for the high values of the D-Dimer tests?
different possible causes
D- dimer is formed as a result of the breakdown of fibrin , it reflects the ongoing activity of the clotting system of the body. This means that persons always have at least a small amount of d- dimer present in the body.
High levels though can be due to clots yes, but there are other causes as well such as(1) heart disease,
(2)liver disease, cancer,
(3)inflammation eg autoimmune disease such as rheumatoid arthritis or also infection,
(5)increases with age,
(6) previous surgery,
(7)false elevation (seen in a case in a Bristish Medial Journal- British Journal of hematology)
blood tests would need to be done to see if there are any other causes.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What does high d-dimer indicate
- Treatment of high d dimer
- D dimer elevation causes
- Tsh cause elevation d dimer
- What would cause high d-dimer in blood tests
- What does a d dimer test state
- What is the reason behind high d dimer
- Capecitabine and high d dimer
- Had anticoagulation therapy what could be causing consistently high d-dimer
- What cancers cause high d dimer levels
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?