What are the causes of prolonged hairfall?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: This is a case of prolonged hairfall. My age is 19 and I feel my hairfall pattern is a little abnormal. Attaching a few images of my hairline. Could there be something to worry about? What are the possible causes?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send details of the query & pictures

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the prolonged hair fall and related pattern hair. I can see the things in the picture and after analyzing the condition I can make out that you have the condition known as male pattern baldness or medically known as "Androgenic Alopecia".

It is quite common to find air fall in men which is known as "male pattern baldness" is most common cause of hair fall in young men like you.

This process of falling starts by 18-20 years and is highest in between the age of 20 to 30 years. I can see you are a young man of 32 years. So it is quite obvious that you can have the starting of this problem of hair fall just because of hormonal influence.

Other than male pattern baldness there can be falling of hair all over the scalp can occur after simple stress too !!!.

Nevertheless in hair fall poor diet and stress contribute to increase the hair fall

The part of the query provided by you is bit short and therefore I request you to kindly provide me the details of your problem in terms of following :

- Since how long you have this hair fall.

- How many hairs fall off per day. Do you see these hair on your bed, pillows, bathroom and during combing too.

- Do you see thinning of the hair too.

- Elaborate the areas of baldness- is it diffuse all over scalp or more in the front and sides.

- Any history of illness in last 1 year.

- Your occupation, daily routine with specific reference to your diet.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 hours later
thank you sir fir your ans...
the ques u asked..
its loke whenever i run my hands through hair evrytime i see 2-3 strands, also when hair are wet they fall more, i m a student nd go for my classes of CA...i hav aprox 8,hrs of classes daily...travllng tym extra..i had no srs ilness in last 1 year
also my dad has a full head of hair at the age of 46
i also feel a bit itchy smtym in frnt region of head..also hairfall is more in the front..
my hair break more whn they feel dead...they feel very rough...only aftr oil massage or applng curd before bath i get relief for a day or 2
i will eagerly wait for your answer

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
"Androgenic Alopecia"- Diet with medications

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome again and thanks for posting your details.

I can understand your concern for the problems related to hair. As a young man you are quite worried about all the things related to your scalp.

After analyzing your query I can make out that you have the condition known as male pattern baldness or medically known as "Androgenic Alopecia".

It is quite common to find hair fall in men which is known as "male pattern baldness" is most common cause of hair fall in young men like you.

Before I directly to you concern let me explain you some medical facts regarding hair fall.

We have almost 1 lac hair on our scalp and amongst them around 5% of hair are in falling phase and then another 0.1% (around 100) of hair can fall everyday. In males this is super-added with hormonal influence of testosterone hormone ( the male hormone) which we call as "male pattern baldness". This also depends upon genetics- meaning type and pattern of hair your family pattern (from your father and mother's side).

This process of falling starts by 20 years and is highest in between the age of 20 to 30 years. I can see you are a young man of 22 years. So it is quite obvious that you can have this problem of hair fall just because of hormonal influence.

So, as I said earlier your problem is basically Androgenic alopecia or simply saying male pattern baldness. It affects mainly frontal and parietal region of the scalp as in your case too. The temporal and region is rarely affected and occipital region is never affected in this condition. So the most important thing is not to be worried about this normal physiological age related men's problem.

For the betterment of diet kindly follow the suggestions below:

1. Eat at least 3-4 different fruits saplings per day. Every fruit is good but you can make a combination of sour with sweet fruits such as oranges, papaya and other of seasonal fruits.

2. Pulses are good source of proteins. So everyday have a small bowel full of mixed pulses. Add green leafy vegetables additionally in the pulses which contains lot of iron and vitamins in it.

3. Sprouts are the best source of fibers, minerals especially iron, vitamins and proteins too. so add it at-least alternate day if you can not make in every-day's part of meal.

4. Over night soaked and peeled almonds will give you good vitamin E which is good for the hair growth.

5. Milk and milk products should be included in every-day's schedule.

6.Do light exercises, reduce your work stress as all these have bit impact on skin so also on scalp skin.

Now regarding the part of treatment:

There are innumerable products in the market claiming to be useful for hair growth. We dermatologists believes in application of Minoxidil lotion. It is one product which is unanimously used by all dermatologists. It is to be started with 2% lotion applied over the scalp once or twice in day.

It is to be applied when the scalp is dry. Only 1 ml is sufficient to be applied at the root of hair in frontal region. If for one month there is no burning and irritation then we increase the percentage to 5 % to 10% gradually. The same we do to taper off the medicine. That means we do not stop the medicine at once and gradually taper it off to 5% and then 2% and then alternate day or off and application of lotion before stopping it completely.

I prefer to give a tablet containing biotin and other essential nutrients along with minoxidil.

I would like to suggest you to have a good nourishing diet along with all the medicines because that is quite very helpful in retaining the hair and maintaining it better.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
so can u suggest the minoxidil solution...nd is it safe to apply as i m only 19...
also whay type of shampoo shoul i use..and is oil massage helpful?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Minoxidil is safe and is USFDA approved.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your follow up.

Minoxidil is quite safe lotion and is USFDA approved for male pattern baldness. This USFDA approval is only given when a particular product is found to be safe and effective.

Hair fall and it treatment is a long term issue and requires proper through guidance and observation according to which the dose and concentration is titrated. Therefore I suggest you to meet a good dermatologist near you and take proper regular follow up in your issue.

Our main aim firstly is to retain the hair and then is further growth. This requires a personal attention and physical examination by good dermatologist.

For shampoo: You can use any good brand shampoo with quite light chemicals. It means we quite often find so many shampoos of different brands. TO decide about the shampoo- it should be of good reputed brand and should not make you hair dried or frizzy after use.

For oil massage: There are many a myths regarding oil massage. In our XXXXXXX setup it is considered to be good. We dermatologists do not believe in oil application and studies has proven that it is not the oil but the gentle massage which actually increases the blood circulation. So even if you are doing light massage without oil then is also beneficial. Sometimes we do vigorous massage which is actually making the roots damaged. So I suggest you to do light massage rather than a vigorous one.

So young man, do not worry and follow and good diet with personalized attention form a dermatologist.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD -Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases