Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

What are the best ways to overcome depression?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 634 Questions
Hi .. Wonder can you help it's regarding grief ... my now ex boyfriend of 2 months lost him mother 10 months ago to brain cancer.. He began to get distance around October and seems to have gotten worse since . he is under huge stress with work and a family business this happened soon after his mother died. He seemed to push me away around oct and just wanted to work and made less and less time for us .. He was having issues sleeping and could not sleep until he got comfortable , had no energy and didn't want to do anything . He often mentioned that life was going on and people were having fun. We fought a lot in the last two months and he said he hated the fighting and could not deal with it. And that he can't give me what I want and that someone else can. When we broke up and XXXXXXX up after it he constantly cried and just repeats himself ..he had post to collect at or apartment which I know he needs but he avoids collecting it. I know he needs it.. Is this grief ??
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for asking.
It does sound like a grief reaction. In many occasions grief is treatable with support from the family and friends although the affected person may express that they do not need it. When grief is accompanied with some sleeping difficulties or decreased appetite, it is appropriate to ask the doctor to treat those problems since their management can help for a faster resolution of the symptoms. It would be very useful to ask a psychotherapist to work on his coping mechanisms. People who do not have mechanisms which are strong enough to cope with stress are vulnerable to severe grief reactions. It is very important to address his issues, other wise his grief may last more than normal period and it can evolve to a depression.
I hope his condition improves and I wish both of the you the very best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor