What are the benefits of progesterone therapy in women?

Posted on Mon, 30 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: what is the benefit of projestorene hormone in female? how does it help in pregnancy? what are the otc medicine available for same?
Answered by Dr. Srilatha Myaka 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Progesterone helps in maintenance of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,welcome to healthcare magic.I have gone through your query.I understand your concern.
Iam Dr.Srilatha gynaecologist.
In my opinion progesterone is a important hormone.Usually the menstrual cycle is of 28 days which is divided into two phases.
First phase is follicular phase which is under the influence of estrogen.Here changes occur in the endometrium and preparation for ovulation occurs.
Then ovulation occurs on 14 th day in a 28 days cycle.
Then second phase is secretary phase which is under the influence of progesterone and starts after the ovulation.Here furthur growth occur in the endometrium and makes ready for implantation and pregnancy if at all fertilization occurs.
If no fertilisation then endometrium is shed as menstrual blood.
If fertilisation occurs progesterone helps in the maintenance of pregnancy and also decreases uterine irritability and relaxes it.
There are different kinds of progesterone like :-
1)Norethisterone,medroxy progesterone,desogestrel, drosperinone etc used in cases
of gynaecological problems.
2)Natural micronised progesterone,duphaston etc used in cases of pregnancy with suspicion of progesterone insufficiency or suspected cases of miscarriage.
As they are hormonal preparations they are not available over the counter.They are always prescribed under doctors advise.
Hope this satisfies your query.
Feel free to discuss furthur.
Best regards...Dr.Srilatha
Dr. Srilatha Myaka

OBGYN