What are the benefits and harms of masturbation?

Posted on Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Sexual Problems
Question: Can you kindly state the benefits and harms of masturbation and how many times one should masturbate at an average.
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Masturbation is safe Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for choosing WWW.WWWW.WW for health related query. I congratulate you to be one of the very few persons asking for the possible benefits of masturbation!! Masturbation is a natural way for sexual self gratification. When a child grows to adolescent stage, there is surge of sex hormones (testosterone in boys and estrogen and progesterone and testosterone in girls). These produce intense desire for sexual exploration. Playing with own genitalia is seen in infants as well. It fees pleasurable so they repeat it again. Masturbation is like having vaginal sex. The only difference is in vaginal sex, the penis moves and in masturbation, the hand moves. There is definitely no harm with vaginal sex so any question of harm by masturbation should not arise. The only problem arises when in some people, this becomes a preferred mode of sexual gratification, even in the presence of a suitable partner. In fact, there is plenty of research to establish that masturbation leads to a better sex life, there is better health, less chance of obesity, better temperament, reduction in stress hormones and so on. Most males usually employ in sexual intercourse or masturbation once a day, but it can be more often as long as it is not interfering with routine activities or is not harmful. Any more queries are welcome. Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa

Sexologist