What are the available treatments for optic nerve damage?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: What kinds of treatments are available for someone who has experienced damage to optic nerves due to water reflected sunlight. This occurred for an extended period during December, 2015, in the presence of low lying winter sun, in Southern California, USA. She has-Double vision-trouble with coordinated binocular focus. Blurred vision that comes and goes. Severe reaction to bright light now. The event occurred about 3 months ago, and no natural improvement over time, but seemingly getting worse.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Optic nerve effect due to some other cause.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for sending your query to us.

Optic nerve damage doesn't occur like this by exposure to reflected light, even for prolonged period. Excessive exposure to too bright a light may lead to maculopathy, where burns occur on the central part of retina.
Optic nerve involvement may be due to various reasons and the approach is correct to have a MRI.
The reason is to be found out by collaboration between neurologist and ophthalmologist.
The treatment is to be aimed at the cause of optic nerve damage.

Any further query in this regard please do get back to me.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 6 hours later
I believe I may have misstated by saying optic nerve instead of retina. The retina is the sensory spot at the back of the eye, inside of the eyeball, correct?
That is where the ophthalmologist had said there was damage.
Will this heal on its' own?
The reflected light was direct reflected sunlight from water build up on a concrete surface. The individual was vacuuming the water up, while facing southward, with the sun brightly shining in the winter sky, giving it a low angle in the sky, not directly overhead. It was as if she was staring into the sun while working. She had sunburned skin around her eyes, bright red, and her eyes were pinkish red and looked swollen.
Could the retina be damaged permanently? If not, what are some methods of correcting/healing the damage? If permanent, what is the remedy for correction? Transplant/radical surgery?? What can be done??
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Solar maculopathy

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.
Now we have things in the proper perspective. This is as you rightly said is solar burn.The optics of the eye focuses all the light on the centre of eye known as macula.There is light burn in that area and impairment as it occurs is due to resolution of swelling.
We in our practice advice anti oxidants and anti inflammatory drops in the initial 6 weeks. Later all the improvement which occurs is natural.
We see these cases as eclipse burn in our practice.
No surgery or laser is possible in these cases.
Any further query in this regard do get back to me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 7 hours later
How long might it take for the body to heal itself of this? If the exposure was for several hours.......will it be permanent?? I am almost afraid of what your response will be......the double vision and the recurring blurryness is troublesome. Is there anything I can do, like wearing dark glasses, diet, vitamin regimen, eyedrops, etc., that might help?? Please tell me there's hope for recovery.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recovery keeps on occurring

Detailed Answer:
My dear,

The recovery is a continuous process and it is more rapid in the beginning and tbe speed slows down after 3 months.

What you can do is to have multivitamins with omega 3 fatty acids. These formulations are readily available and should be continued for approximately 6 months.

Along with that maintain a healthy lifestyle and get a checkup for glasses after 6 weeks to see if blurring is reduced by glasses.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee