What are the after effects of eating slate pencils for a prolonged time period?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello,
i'm XXXXXXX and i ate slate pencil past 9 years and i stopped 3 months back, due that i had stomach pain and weight loss.but i'm ok now eventhough i have one oubt it will cause any problems in future and i'm having white discharge more now a days. please tell me the solution for this.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some white discharge is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Some amount of white discharge is quite common.
As long as there is no redness, itching or foul discharge,there is nothing to worry about.
Also, as you have stopped the habit of eating slate pencil, there will be no more complications due to that in future.
Please get your calcium, hemoglobin and vitamin D levels checked.
Your craving for slate pencil could be due to anemia or calcium deficiency.
Please feel free to discuss further.