What are the adverse effects of taking Plan-B and regular contraceptive together?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I took Plan B on top of my normal birth control because I freaked out after having sex last. What are the effects of taking Plan B on top of the pill?? Could it delay my period until next month? ...

I also took a pregnancy test yesterday and it was negative, but I was supposed to start my period today and it didn't show up.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Plan B can delay periods

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for trusting to us.

I understand your concern but there is nothing to worry about.

As you may know Plan B is a large dose of hormone progesterone ,hence use of plan B can cause hormone imbalances and delay periods.

While you have used regular birth control plus Plan-B and the most important is negative pregnancy test ,you haven't chances to be pregnant.

Be calm and wait for vaginal bleeding,because they will come soon .

All the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj