• question-icon

What are the adverse effects of taking PCV vaccine twice?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I can't remember if I got a vaccine shot for pneumonia, going back a couple years. I have no medical record to check. i am 75. Would there be any problem getting another shot now in the event that I actually did have one before.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
Pneumococcal vaccine usually gives a good protection.
Some experts eg those at Harvard suggest taking the vaccine twice. However , if you have forgotten whether you have taken the vaccine, I suggest the following

1. take the vaccine again , after 1 year of suspected dose. Take PCV 13. Wait 1 year and then take PCV 23.

2. repeat titer of pneumococcal vaccine after 1 year. If this is good, you need not think again.

Please do consult your local physician for the norms of vaccine of local government.

Best of luck.
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist