What are the adverse effects of taking Isosorbide dinitrate before meals?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What are the dangers of taking isosorbide dinitrate before meals for achalasia?
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Isosorbide dinitrate is used in the treatment of achalasia

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Thanks for writing in.

Isosorbide dinitrate is used in the treatment of achalasia. It helps by lowering the XXXXXXX pressure ( lower oesophageal sphincter).

However, the possible side effects might be headache, flushing, orthostatic hypotension (drop in blood pressure when rising from a sitting position) causing dizziness, palpitations, and weakness. To reduce the risk of these side effects, rise slowly from a sitting position.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
So is it OK to continue taking this medication? Will it have a long time effect on my heart?
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is ok to continue the medication

Detailed Answer:
Yes, It is ok to continue the medication for achalasia if it was prescribed by your treating doctor.

As with any medication, the drug has positive effects (where it heals ) and also negative effects(side effects) . If the medication was prescribed to you by your gastroenterologist he would have weighed the pros and cons of the medicine.

Hope this answer was helpful to you .

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan