What are the adverse effects of smoking on BP?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 33 year old female of average height and weight(5"9 168 lbs) I have had high blood pressure since the birth or my daughter (14 months ago). My question is... If I quite smoking will that dramatically lower my blood pressure so that I won't need medication anymore or will I still be reliant on meds to lower my bp
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
small decrease but would help

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Smoking can have an effect on both blood pressure readings and also on the blood vessels in the body.
It increases the risk of formation of cholesterol plaques in the blood vessels causing them to become narrow, thereby reducing the blood supply to different organs. Further causes the vessels to constrict, in both of these ways it reduces the space the blood has to travel.
This is how it increases the risk of heart disease and stroke and also affects blood supply to kidney

In terms of its effect on blood pressure itself, medical studies have shown that it will reduce by approximately 1.7 to 5.6.

Though the reduction may not be large, any small decrease helps.

In addition, it would help reduce heart disease risk.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later
How long after quitting smoking does it take for your blood vessels to return to a non smoking state. Is there anything I can do in addition to quitting smoking to help clear my blood vessels of plaque
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
decrease plaque formation in 2 weeks

Detailed Answer:
HI

Within 24 hours, there are normally changes in blood pressure.

It has been found that within 2 weeks there is decrease ' stickiness' of the platelets which translates to decrease plaque formation. So within 2 weeks , your blood vessels would start being a bit healthier.

The risk of heart disease and stroke, according to the Nurses health study, decreases by 61% for heart attacks and a decrease of 42% for a stroke over a 5 yr period.
This means over 5 yrs- risk of heart disease decrease by 61% and risk of stroke decreases by 42%

Please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 minutes later
In addition to quitting smoking is there anything else you would suggest I eat to help clear my arteries.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
lifestyle changes mainly

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The general risk factors are: (1)high blood pressure ( damages the blood vessels and increase the risk of plaque formation).
If you can keep this under control, it would help a lot

(2)exercise- normally recommend at least 150 minutes a week, I know it may be difficult since you have to care for a young child but do what you can

(3)weight loss of any excess weight. This can be difficult sometimes but they are different approaches- low carb diet or low fat/low calorie diet- choose which best suits you. Also something called the DASH diet which is recommended for persons with high blood pressure

(4)if you have high cholesterol, that is not going down with lifestyle changes alone, it would be best to use medication for it.

These are main changes, feel free to ask any thing else