• question-icon

What are the adverse effects of medical abortion?

Posted on Tue, 7 Oct 2014 in Women's Health
Question: hi doctor, What are the side effects of medical abortion and if it happenes about 6 to 7 times. I have two kids, one is 5yr and another is 1.5 yr old. Previous abortion is about 3 yr back happened. Now I don't have other option.
Answered by Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for writing..
I understand your concern..

Its always better to take contraceptive measures than repeated abortion.If you have completed your family, get a permanent sterilisation like tubectomy or vasectomy of the partner.

Immediate side effects include heavy bleeding which can lead to anemia, severe abdominal pain, gastritis and retained products which may require surgical intervention. Side effects of surgical intervention include chances of perforation, pelvic infection,cervical injury, asherman's syndrome, uterine infection, placenta accreta in future pregnancy, miscarriage or even infertility.

Repeated medical abortion can cause anemia, pelvic infection, miscarriage in future pregnancy, infertility and it increases the risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer..

So its better to avoid repeated abortion.Hope I have answered your queries.Feel free to ask any doubts..Good day..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan

OBGYN