What are the adverse effects of long term usage of BP medication?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dear sir, I visited doctor and he recommended as per following attached instruction. 1/2 stop taking Prolomat XL 25 and measure BP everyday at one time of day for 10 days. 3/4 boold and some test.

sir am very concerned regarding stopping of my BP magicians. I am taking them for 8 years, will something very bad can happened with me.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Relax - nothing bad will happen

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

BP medicine may be stopped in some people after several years

When the pressure is low or heart rate is slow, beta-blocker (Prolomet-XL) will have to be stopped. You are taking a small dose (25mg) – the dose is up to 200 mg, even more in some… and withdrawal effects are not common in such a low dose...
You can discontinue and observe
If the pressure goes up, your doctor may restart the same medicine or a different one

Good luck
God bless you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist