What are the adverse effects of elevated TSH levels during first trimester of pregnancy?

Posted on Sat, 20 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Dr,
I am in the first month of pregnancy and my TSH is 8.43. My dr. has suggested that I increase the dose from 50 mcg to 100 mcg of thyronorm. Will it bring down the TSH level? Also is my pregnancy safe due to the increased tsh level of 8.43. please advise.
Answered by Dr. Srilatha Myaka 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
increasing thyronorm is right.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,welcome to healthcare magic.I understand your concern.
In my opinion the optimumTSH level should be less than 2.5 during first trimester.
If the TSH is not under control the growth of the fetus might be impaired and chance of miscarriage might occur.
So as it is 8.43 the thyronorm dose should be increased .The doctor suggestion of increasing thyronorm is right.
Dont worry.The increase in dose will decrease the TSH level.
And the increased TSH might not affect your pregnancy as you are taking thyronorm but the dose was not sufficient.And increasing the dose might correct it.Repeat the TSH after 2 weeks to know if the dose is sufficient or not.
Hope this satisfies your query.
Feel free to discuss further.
Best regards...Dr.srilatha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Srilatha Myaka

OBGYN