What are the adverse effects of dettol intake?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Yesterday I was cleaning a cut with dettol and as I was pouring dettol in water to dilute it some went on my fingers. After I finished applying dettol I ate a piece of chocolate breaking the bar with my hand which had residue of undiluted dettol, shortly after consuming the chocolate I felt a burning sensation in my throat. Now a day later I have burning sensation in my stomach with reflux. I haven't vomitted but am really concerned. Can dettol burn stomach and other organs should I be worried considering I didnt injest a large amount? Straight after it happened I drank two bottles of water, should I get this checked out?
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answer given below

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

The residue of undiluted dettol on your is too low in quantity to cause any damage to your esophagus or stomach. So there is no need to worry.

You probably are having symptoms of simple acid reflux and you can take prilosec for relief.

I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.