• question-icon

What are the adverse effects of Bumex?

Posted on Fri, 1 Jul 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Effects of taking bumex while one is on dialysis, the person has heavy edema in legs
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
bumex is a loop diuretic

Detailed Answer:

Bumex is a loop diuretic, its primery effect is to act on the kidney and produce more urine.

In patients on dialysis only way to remove heavy edema of renal failure is two decrease fluids in diet as less as possible and remove more water by dialysis to reduce the post dialysis weight.

bumex may be used in these patients to increase the urine output from few hundred ml a day to a litre a day. but this may not be possible in all patients. It can also cause hearing loss by affecting the inner ear.

if Bumex is not having any affect on the urine output then it should be stopped under guidance of the treating doctor.

best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist