question-icon

What are symptoms of polymyalgia rheumatica?

Posted on Wed, 18 Mar 2015
Question: What are my symptoms and treatment for poly myalgia rheumatica? I am diabetic and concerned about my A-1
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It is diagnosis of exclusion

Detailed Answer:
Polymyalgia Rheumatica is a diagnosis of exclusion. In this there is generalised body ache, joint pain. Patients complain of early morning stiffness. There is no specific test. So when all other disease like rheumatoid arthritis or ankylosing arthritis, are rule out than we should think of Polymyalgia Rheumatica.
Treatment is low dose steroids.
As far as second part of your questions, please let me know in detail what you want to know?
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma (11 hours later)
Predisone is not good for my A1C. What other medications are available which will help and not compromise my diabetes?
Brief Answer:
You do not need to take Prednisone for long time

Detailed Answer:
You do not need to take Prednisone for long time. It should be taken whenever needed. Also you can take Pregabalin M tablet in night time. Some patients may be benefited from Amytryptlin. Also regular calcium and vitamin D3 is helpful.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement