What are symptoms of pancreatitis?

Dr. Samir Patil

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 2 Mar 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I really think i have pancreatitis. I have all the symptoms. It started with acute pain in my left upper abdomin and flank. Now its not that painful unless i eat something. I am able to keep down fluids but i am having yellow diarreah. My blood test came back normal as did my ultrasound. Is it possible to still have it? Should i go back to the drs? Ive been 3 times and they dont know what it was. 1 dr thought it was pancreatitus but my bloodwork and ultrasound came back negative. I also had very low blood pressure yesterday 100/55 and i normally have high blood pressure. I am on atenenol and spirolactade but i forgot to take it yesterday. Today my blood pressure is slightly elevated and i took my pills today. 138/95. Im not sure if this all goes together or not. Please let me know ehat you think it could be and if i should pursue this.
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not pancreatitis

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through the details you have provided.
As your blood work and ultrasound is normal this is not pancreatitis.
It is mos likely to be a viral infection causing acute gastroenteritis.
I would suggest you take omeprazole which would help you with the nausea and pain , take plenty of fluids.
You BP must have gone down because of dehydration from the diarrhoea.
Was a urine test done?
I not I would suggest a urine microscopy examination as urinary infection can cause flank pain and nausea
Hope this helps
Do get back in case you have further queries
Dr Samir Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D