question-icon

What are symptoms of mosquito bites?

Posted on Sat, 26 Jul 2014
Question: Hi Dr,
I brought my son to a cottage in the woods and there was plenty of bugs and Mosquitos. My almost 3 year old son has a lot of bites on the face legs arms and hand, even in the palm of the hand. I gave him some Benadryl. I am worried that it could be either mites from rodents or bed bugs and that I could have brought some back. How can I be sure that its Mosquito bites?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (40 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Monitor them..more consistent with mosquito bites!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your son. The picture speaks for itself and the bites seem so many.

The distribution of these bite spots is more consistent with mosquito bites as they are on areas of the body that are hard to reach by bugs and rodents unless he was sleeping on the ground in the forest. Whatever the cause maybe, bites require no specific attention except they become complicated. In this light, benadry would help control the symptoms of swelling and itches. Should anything more concerning like pain, draining fluid, increasing redness and warmth, please seek a medical consultation as this could signify an ongoing complication that warrants specific care

I hope this helps. I wish your daughter well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Thank you so much for using our services.

Dr. Ivo Ditah