What are symptoms of kidney stones. I have pain in

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sun, 10 Feb 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: What are symptoms of kidney stones. I have pain in the small of my back on both sides. It seems to lessen when I ride a bicycle or when I sit down, and flares up when I stand and walk.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. Trudell,

Usually kidney stone pain is severe, and comes in waves and is typically on one side. The pain is usually on the side and back a bit below the rib cage in the back. The pain can radiate to the lower abdomen and groin.

So your symptoms are not classic for kidney stones. More likely to be musculoskeletal. That said, I still think it is important for you to go in to be seen by a doctor as kidney stones are not the only cause of pain in the kidney area.

The doctor will palpate over where you are having pain, get an xray, and if there is suspicion that the kidneys are involved, also get a urinalysis to look for microscopic blood, or other abnormalities.

So - this is less likely to be kidney stones, but I do think you need to go in to be seen.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T