What are symptoms of basal ganglia calcifications?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: What is the outcome and the symptoms of basal ganglia calcifications? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
depends

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
The outcome and presentation depends on the type of calcification and extent of it.
physiological intracranial calcification occurs in about 0,3-1,5% of cases. It is asymptomatic and is detected incidentally by neuroimaging.and is not a big deal.
Pathological basal ganglia calcification is due to various causes, such as: metabolic disorders, infectious and genetic diseases and other. Hypoparathyroidism and pseudohypoparathyroidism are the most common causes of pathological basal ganglia calcification. Besides tetany and seizures this condition is presented by parkinsonism and dementia. Such parkinsonism doesn't respond to drugs containing levodopha. Infections (toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus, cysticercosis, AIDS) give multiple and asymmetric intracranial calcification. Inherited and neurodegenerative diseases cause symmetrical, bilateral basal ganglia calcification which is not related to metabolic disorders (blood calcium level and other), those are: Cockayne syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, Fahr's syndrome, Down syndrome and other.
Hormonal assessment of parathyroid and calcium and phosphorus levels is mandatory to sort out parathyroid issues the most likely cause of basal ganglia calcification. Treatment of underlying etiology is needed for improvement of symptoms.
Nut shell if no symptoms most likely benign and physiologic if symptoms and pathology underline immediate management for rectification.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX