Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

What are sarcoidosis and shingles?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
Hello Dr. Oana: What is sarcoid? How do you get it? What is shingles? Thank you.
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sarcoidosis is an immune mediated disease Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for your query. Sarcoidosis is a poorly understood disease. It is thought to be due to an exaggerated immune response to an unknown antigen. It affects the lungs and lymph glands in the chest. Treatment is difficult and is usually done by immune suppressants. Because of immune suppressants the body may become prone to various infections. Shingles is one of these. It is an infection by herpes virus. It is manifested by vesicle in skin and lot of pain. It is treated by antivirals. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What are sarcoidosis and shingles? 54 minutes later
Hello Dr. Ghosh: What is immune mediated? If a person has been told he/she has enlarged lymph nodes and the person has small bumps over their body (with the exception of face and not below the knee), the rash is very painful and an ultrasound, ct scan confirmed the enlarged lymph nodes, is it possible that the person has sarcoid and shingles? Thank you. XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: Thanks for followup. Immunity is body's protective mechanism against any infection. In some cases, this mechanism gets exaggerated and itself causes damage to the body. These diseases are known as immune-mediated. Enlarged nodes in chest may be due to sarcoid but shingles is usually localised rash. Such extensive rash is unlikley to be due to shingles. There may be some other immune mediated disease going on which itself is causing the rash. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What are sarcoidosis and shingles? 32 hours later
What ttype of specialist should I see regarding the enlaged lymph lodes and the rash thoughout my body (which I believe is shingles).
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Respiratory physician and dermatologist Detailed Answer: You can start with these two specialties and if it is confirmed to be sarcoid or any other immune mediated disease, then a rheumatology consult will be required.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor