Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

What are reasons for severe pain under right ribcage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1774 Questions
I am a 29 year old male with severe pain under my right ribcage. I have had X-rays, c scan, blood tests and nothing has shown up. My Doctor put me on medication to see if its internal shingles. It seemed to work for a week but now the pain is back. This has been going on for 3 years but has gotten much worse this past couple of months. I am waiting for an MRI.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Acid peptic disease needs to be ruled out too Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I would consider two probabilities in your case 1. Acid peptic disease 2. Gall bladder pathology like Chronic cholecystitis Acid peptic disease may only sometimes present with pain abdomen. Other symptoms like nausea, bloating, post food fullness, vomiting may or may be not there. It requires upper Gastrointestinal endoscopy for confirmation. It is not normally picked up by X-ray, CT scan or MRI. Gall bladder pathology is less likely, as it would have been picked up by CT scan. I normally do ultrasound scan on empty stomach to know the gall bladder it's full in fasting state and followed by repeat scan after having fatty meal- normally the gall bladder should have contracted after food. Lack of contractility would warrant further workup. In my opinion I feel MRI is less likely to reveal any gross pathology which has been missed by CT scan. I wish you a happy and healthy life. I would be happy to help you if you need any further assistance Take care Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor