Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
135 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What are reasons for chest and back pain while breathing?

Answered by
Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Practicing since :1983

Answered : 1337 Questions

Posted on Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Heart Attack
Question: I went to bed last night, after a normal Th. Gv. dinner, then I noticed that it was painful to inhale, painful on the chest and on my back (where the lungs are?) as if someone had hit me across my chest w a baseball bat :( I shallow breathed all night, grunting w each breath for hours! I took advi/alevel every 3 -4 hours and rested most of the day today in bed, the pain is not as sharp as it was last night, but my chest and back still hurt as I breathe. What could have caused and what can I do? I don't have any other symptoms, no fever, no cough, no headahce, no congestion, just pain when breathing. I'd appreciate your opinion. thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: May be a bone stuck in esophagus or indigestion. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. You have described your symptoms in helpful detail. I have a number of thoughts as to what the problem could be. You may have got a bone stuck in your esophagus or food pipe. This can happen even though you may not have noticed it at the time of eating. This would cause a sharp pain that continues for the length of time you describe. Another possibility is that you have a severe attack of indigestion. This could be related to a degree of over-indulgence with eating and drinking. Alternatively and less likely is the possibility of a clot in your lung or pulmonary embolus. This would also cause sharp pain related to breathing. However, this is relatively rare in someone who is otherwise fit and healthy. I am confident this is not a heart attack as the pain has lasted too long and you have no other symptoms. In the first instance, try an antacid or indigestion preparation available from the chemist over the counter. If this provides no relief then I suggest you visit the ER for examination and investigation. A chest X-ray may be able to identify a bone that has got stuck. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Heart attack

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2011. I didn t know snoring really loud was a condition until the girl I was seeing, couldn t stand sleeping...

doctor1 MD

Hi, my name is vickie I am a 45 year old female. I had symptoms of heart attack from 2000-2008 I had been seen several times at doctors office &...

doctor1 MD

I ve taken 5 endocet pills at once, now these are the 5mg oxycodone with 325 mg of it possible that it could cause a heart...

doctor1 MD

My dad is a heart patient and has survived a major heart attack in June 2010. We had angioplasty done at that time. He has lost a lot of weight....

doctor1 MD

A cat scan for the lungs revealed atherosclerosis of the great vessels , aorta and coronary arteries. Aorta and pulmonary arteries are normal in...

doctor1 MD

My father is 91 and his systolic is 228. Don't know the other number. Should I worry?

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, I have had some wisdom tooth pain and went to doctor, he advised me to use hydrogen preoxide one week and lets try the infection go....