question-icon

What are lump like spots on either side of jaw near wisdom teeth?

Posted on Wed, 16 Dec 2015
Question: Hello,

I found out - 1 year ago - that i have a hard lump attached deep inside my jaw bone - to find it you have to put your finger under the bone of the chin and go up near the ear (almost below wisdom tooth). It is attached under that bone and you have to push your finger deep to find it. It is hard and doesn't move - about the size of a pea. I also have the same one at the other side of my face at the same place exactly, but its smaller. You cannot see it from inside the mouth. My dentist touched it and told me maybe is a gland and my physician toughed it and and told me it is probably just my jaw's structure like that and that anything that is in the both sides of the face shouldn't worry me. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Does not look like anything serious..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your query there are two important structures present under the jaw:
1. Submandibular Salivary Gland.
2.Submandibular group of lymph nodes..

As you have to press deep in that area to locate the structure and as it is located on both sides there is a possibility that you are palpating the normal lymph nodes or the salivary gland and not any pathological structure..

But in case you still have any doubts you can consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and he can advise you a Cross Sectional X-ray or ultrasound of the lymph nodes and Salivary Gland for confirmation..

As of now you need not to worry as there seems nothing abnormal..

Any further questions are welcome..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist