question-icon

What ailments can be associated with intermittent upper abdominal pain?

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018
Question: I am experiencing pain upper right side of abdomen. Intense ache that comes and goes. Almost burning kind of feel. I have had gall bladder removed long time ago. I also had a pancreatic stent put in long time ago but is now gone. I dotn understand how i can be fine one minute then have intense pain the next.. So it comes and goes. Since about 5:00 today.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Can be bowel ischemia.

Detailed Answer:

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

As you don't have a gallbladder few possibilities are that you may have a stomach ulcer. Due to the irritating of the stomach mucosa directly you can get pain.

Another more rare cause but an important one for you is bowel ischemia. This happens when the bowel arteries are narrow and can not provide the needed amount of blood (it is similar to the heart having ischemia) and cause bowel ischemia.

Suggestion:

Take a proton pump inhibitor Omeprazole if not relieved a CT should be done or bowel angiogram.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist