What Citalopram dose can be taken in a day?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
I want to try taking the 20 mg citalopram before bed instead of in morning. since I already took one at 6 this morning what time should I take one tonight? Will I have bad side effects taking 2 in one day?
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can take 10 mg of citalopram

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

Maximum dose of citalopram is 40mg per day and you are taking 20mg. Ideally dose should be increased 10mg per week or fortnight, otherwise sudden increase in dose could lead to anxiety symptoms. So better to avoid it.

If you have taken your dose in morning, then you can take more at night again at same time. There is nothing harm in it. Better to take 10mg rather than 20mg to avoid anxiety symptoms.

If you have further query, you can take.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist