Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'. Please type your question here...My

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Sun, 31 Mar 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'. Please type your question here...My son's muscle is extremely sore. From reading it appears that it can be DOMs or even Rhabdo. How can we really know? how can we
treat it
Follow up: Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 9 minutes later
hello, when can I expect an answer
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to "Ask a Doctor" service.

DOMs is a very common condition and generally can be treated with local warm compresses to help the blood flow in the muscle and also some pain killers like paracetamol and ibuprofen. It should get better within 2-3 days.

Rhabdo is a very rare condition that might also cause muscle pain but happens generally if the patient had a severe trauma that crushed the muscles or if there was electrical shock or from snake bites, very rarely from medications and seizures. So the most important thing with rhadomyolisis is that it is associated with important cause of the muscle damage.
Also patients with rhabdomyolisis have dark urination due to proteins of muscle breaking down and coming out in urine. Sometimes urination might be decreased as well if the kidney function is impaired. Blood tests can be used to check for muscular damage as well.

Treatment of rhabdomyolisis should be done in emergency care because it may be serious especially because it may severely effect the kidneys. Drinking a lot of water is necessary to help the kidneys flush.

So to conclude:
- if the child did not have a severe trauma or event to justify severe damage of the muscles then DOMs is very likely and in this case local warm compresses and paracetamol and ibuprofen might help. Avoiding excessive exercise is helpful to prevent this.
- if there was a major trauma like heavy things falling on the extremities that might have crushed muscles or electrical shock then it is very unlikely that the muscle pain is due to rhabdomyolisis. Presence of dark urine or reduced urination is an important sign that increases the chance of rhabdomyolisis. Drinking plenty of water and seeing a doctor as soon as possible is important in this case to save the kidney function.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj