question-icon

Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'. Please type your question here...

Posted on Fri, 15 Mar 2019
Question: Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'. Please type your question here...

I feel like I might have food poisoning is it ok to throw up
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (45 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes it's ok to vomit.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for asking query on this forum,
Have seen your details.
Food poisioning is characterised by vomiting.Its a natural process by which our body try to throw away bacteria's and todixs.However as a matter of fact a large amount of electrolytes like sodium potassium and chloride is lost along with vomiting.
Therefore I would suggest you to take an anti emetic like zofran 4 mg sos to stop vomiting.
With every vomit take Electral or a glass of oral rehydration solution.
Keep a watch on pulse and blood pressure.If pulse is faster then 100/minute or blood pressure systolic is less then 100 mm of hg follow up in emergency room.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist