Weight lifting at 15 years. Stunted growth or height?

Posted on Thu, 17 May 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: Is there any Effect on my body if i lift weight at 15 ? Will it make me not grow as much or stunt my height .
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting query.

The younger bones increase in height till you attain the age of puberty that is around 13-15 years in boys in most of the cases.During this time your body grows under the influence of male hormones and you become more musculature,your genital grow and you started having hair at genital area,facial and in axilla.

You are progressing towards adulthood but still not adult.The idea of giving the above information to make you understand the phases of growth.

Now coming to your query,you can life weight in routine but not very heavy.Your muscles are strong and growing so anything which causes them over work can injure then.Your back muscles specially can be hurt and injured if proper care is not taken.Maintaining proper posture and regular exercise is important in growth phase.

The height or growth will never be affected by such acts, it completely under the influence of the hormones and the nutrition .

I hope I have make you under stood the things in detail,still if you wish ask any thing more please write again,I will gladly reply it.
Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani