Weakness on cheek muscle and behind ear. Why am I experiencing this?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Weakness on right cheek muscle and behind ear , Some time back I had experienced weakness on the right cheek muscle connecting mouth and cheek , there is sensations , but something like without pain . Had been to neurologist , MRI was done and nothing was found , the doctor gave me B12 and zeptol CR 200 , but I never found relief , I have just managed to cope with it , but sometime it is bothering me effecting my speech pronunications.

Please suggest why I am experiencing this type of feeling, it is very unpleasant experience.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 30 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort on account of weakness of cheek muscles.

The commonest cause of weakness of cheek muscles is facial paralysis. It is most often caused by a viral infection.

Treatment in the initial phase requires the use of medications such as acyclovir and prednisolone. Afterwards, treatment requires physiotherapy- facial exercises and electrical stimulation.

Normal MRI is a good news, as it excludes any serious brain disease.

A test that may be useful in assessing the severity of weakness is facial nerve conductions and blink reflex. Please consult your neurologist regarding the same.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Thanks Doctor , you mean to say I still have the viral infection or it is just left over of a viral infection ?

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for getting back.

You do not have the viral infection now. What you have is the left over effect of the initial viral infection.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)