Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

129 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Water type blister appeared on penis shaft and went away. Should I be concerned?

Answered by
Dr. S Patra


Practicing since :2011

Answered : 4048 Questions

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Question: My boyfriend woke up with a large (3/4 inch) water type blister on his penis shaft. He instantly made an appointment at a clinic and by the time he arrived, within two hours, it was gone completely with no visible XXXXXXX remaining. It was not sore at all and was clear looking. No other symptoms. It has not returned. The Dr told him not to be concerned that it was probably nothing but we are, very much so. We did have intercourse the previous 4 nights which was more frequent than usual. What is a likely cause of this?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query. I have gone through your history in detail.

According to your history, nothing looks like serious, as the blister was self limited and gone away without symptoms.

The blister developed probably due to inflammatory reaction on the skin of penis shaft. It is caused by either pressure effect or chemical irritation by using condom/ applying cream or lubrication in the treatment of vaginitis or dry vagina.

Blisters on the penis usually suggest Genital Herpes infection, but this is unusual without any pain. Therefore, you need not to be much worried about the condition.
It is advisable to do a blood test for HSV (hygiene properly, both of you.
2) Use only water-based lubricant and no other chemical substance.
3) Avoid intercourse if you are treated for vaginitis with insertion of suppository.
4) Take healthy diet with multivitamin supplements and drink plenty of water.
5) Always practice safe sex to avoid STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease) in future.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish good health for both of you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  HIV

doctor1 MD

I'm a 22 year old male about 165 lbs. I've recently had unprotected sex with my girlfriend although i'm not sure of her sexual history. On the top of my penis under the head I have a small patch that looks like a rash and when I pull it to look closer I see small cuts like paper cuts on it. A friend told me it may be from friction but I think I need to get tested. Can anyone help?

doctor1 MD

A while back a tore my frenulum during intercourse, i have had sex since and it was sore but not as bad, the first time it happened (tore) i had a sharp pain but carried on only to notice what had happened when i saw a small amount of blood in the semen in the condom and there was no more blood only soreness, i can retract my foreskin fully but can be sore if i did it whilst erect, i can see no scarring but looks healed and the tear looks to have rejoined, help please as i am insecure in-case it happens again.

doctor1 MD

Me nd my girlfriend had sex three days ago for her first time started off with no condom ended up with one on she bled wich is normalfor being her first time but shes been experiencing pain in her vaginal area and spotting on nd off throughout the day she also has pain wen she urinates she has also been feeling tired and weak what s wrong with her? Could she be pregnant? Too early to tell?

doctor1 MD

I was raped, I do not wish to involve authorities, I will speak with my psychologist and psychiatrist about it, but do not want any legal action. He used a condom but I am still afraid as the bastard slid in once without it. My car is wrecked and until tomorrow I am unable to get to the pharmacy. Any advice? 25y Female

doctor1 MD

I just had a mutual masturbation session with a sex worker However she removed her hand from inside her vagina and used it roughly on my penis in a hand job Can I get HIV from this means which I was not able to stop after it occurred to me ?

doctor1 MD

i bought food the food was in a container with a plastic at the top covering the container how ever i notice the plastic on 1 container was slightly open on a container with food inside any RISK for hiv hep b,c

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor thanks for your valuable reply however my further query is for last two weeks I have a mild rash under my eye which is persistent and is not going away...I had read somewhere in the webmd website that facial rashes are the first sign...