Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Water like discharge from breasts. Cause?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5971 Questions
My wife is 47 and lately she is experiencing water like discharge from her breasts. What can it be?
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Thanks for your query.

There are about 10 tiny openings in each of your nipples, and not only breast milk, but any other liquid from inside your breast can seep out of these openings. This liquid may be thin and clear, almost like water; or thick and dark-colored; or just about anything in between. It may come out on its own, or only when you squeeze your nipples.

Generally, the one type of discharge you should worry most about, since it can signal cancer, is bloody: red to dark brown. And it would only be a cancer symptom if it occurred in ONE breast, not both. A bloody discharge doesn’t necessarily mean you have cancer; it can also be the result of a blow to the breast, or a benign papilloma (a small growth in the milk duct). But it means cancer is a possibility, and you should definitely get it checked by a doctor.

•Thick/sticky green/black discharge: This is usually the result of mammary duct ectasia, a problem that’s fairly common in women in their 40s and 50s. It’s an inflammation of one or more milk ducts, much like an XXXXXXX pimple. It may be painful, but often isn’t. Have your doctor check it to see whether it’s extensive enough that you need an antibiotic.

•White, clear, yellow, or light green discharge: This is often a sign of galactorrhea, a hormonal imbalance. It should be checked with a doctor not because it’s a danger sign for breast disease, but because it might signal a problem elsewhere in your body, such as an underactive thyroid, or a pituitary disorder.

COnsidering the age of your wife, and high risk factors like diabetes and hypertension, I would advise you to consult a Surgeon / Gynecologist and have appropriate evaluation.

Take care, and feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor