Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Water filled blisters on the inner thigh, reddish on rupturing. What are these?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12648 Questions
I have water blisters on the inside right thigh where my leg meets the crotch. Once they are ruptured they are red and about 2/8" wide. First appear as watery bumps. What might this be?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
According to your description it seems to be impetigo or folliculitis.
Impetigo is caused by streptococcus (strep) or staphylococcus (staph) bacteria. It presents as a single or many blisters filled with pus which are easy to pop, filled with yellow or honey-colored fluid and oozing and crusting over.
To confirm the diagnosis we need to do a culture sensitivity of the discharge from the bump. If it is folliculitis, impetigo or boils, it will come out positive on bacterial cultures. Systemic antibiotics are needed fro treatment.
I would suggest to get yourself examined by a dermatologist for proper diagnosis. Meanwhile keep the area clean, do daily dressing, apply antiseptic ointment like neosporin and take a mild pain killer like ibuprofen for inflammation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Water filled blisters on the inner thigh, reddish on rupturing. What are these? 2 hours later
The description you gave ... do I have to go to a dermatologist, or can I see my family Doctor. I was wondering if this condition in any way indicates it might be an STD. Thanks for your feedback.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

You can see your family doctor also for the required treatment. It is not likely to be an STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease). This is most likely a bacterial infection.

Taking general cleanliness measures will help in preventing the relapse.

Hope this answer is helpful.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor