Water blister on left inner thigh. What could this be?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: I have what looks like a water blister thats 1.5 mm wide on my left inner thigh towards the top near my groin. the area (1.5 inch diam) around it is light is pink and very very slightly wrinkled near the bump itself. Im not sure that it is a water blister it looks more like a blood blister and only hurts when i poke it. It randomly popped up last night and im not sure what its from. im 18 if that helps at all, this is the first and only sighting of one of these things, what should i do?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It looks like a boil/furuncle

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the image attached, its a furuncle/ boil. A furuncle is a bacterial infection of hair follicle with swelling and inflammation of adjacent area.
To treat the same
Do warm water compresses over the lesion
Apply topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin or fusidic acid two times in a day
If too painful, take an analgesic like ibuprofen.

The lesion should start drying in four to five days. If not much response is seen in couple of days then consult a doctor nearby to get a prescription of oral antibiotic.

Hope this helped.