Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Was poked in the eye by piece of furniture. Have swelling and damage in eye ball. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 5709 Questions
I was poked in the eye by the corner of a piece of furniture. The whole area got swollen but after a wee the only remaining damage is a blind area dead center in the eyeball
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eye injury requires evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

It seems from the history that were injured by the corner of a furniture to the corner of the eye after which the area was swollen.

Eye injuries are quite common in occurrence. Mild nature eye injuries will only cause mild swelling or chemosis of conjunctiva in the injured area or they may cause subconjunctival hemorrhage. All these conditions are self resolving and may not require treatment. However severe eye injuries may result in damage to
vision because of serious eye problems like corneal tear, globe rupture...

It seems from the history that you have suffered from a mild eye injury resulting in local oedema or swelling of the conjunctiva. However since you are a diabetic and already undergone LASIK, these make you susceptible to mild injury.

Please furnish me further details like
Status of vision in the injured aeye after closing the other normal eye
Mode of injury whether it was full thickness penetrating injury or mild superficial injury
Site of injury whether to the periphery white part/conjunctiva of the eye or to centre part/cornea of the eye

Please send answers for the above questions so that I can answer your question more accurately.

Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Was poked in the eye by piece of furniture. Have swelling and damage in eye ball. Suggest? 1 hour later
When the right eye (undamaged) is closed I can see a ring of vision all around the damaged (left) eye. The left eye is a little tender in the tear duct area. There was no cutting, no blood. I was, however, knocked out. The injury appears to be to the corneal area but the white of the eye is still slightly bloodshot. Right after it happened, my husband came home and said I looked like prizefighter - the loser. I did ice it off and on for several hours. The blind area has gotten slightly smaller and that it why I didn't have it looked at - also I live in a rural area where it is difficult (though not impossible) to get a specialist appointment. But I am now getting scared. I have been putting artificial tears in the last two days since it stopped running. BTW, this happened ten days ago.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Subconjunctival hemorrhage with injury to cornea

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the reply for the questions.

From the reply you have given white of the eye is blood shot indicates subconjunctival hemorrhage
Tenderness of the eye and the eye is looking like prize fighter indicate ecchymosis of eye lids.
So these two conditions together make it ecchymosis of eye lids with subconjunctival hemorrhage, one of the commonest thing to occur in blunt injuries to the eye. These two conditions are self resolving and may take 4-6 weeks till they clear of completely. The associated pain can be reduced by taking oral analgesic drugs and by cold compress to the affected part of the eyelids.

Coming to the vision in the injured eye that you are seeing a ring of vision all around indicates injury to the cornea in the form of corneal edema or corneal abrasion.
As of now you can start using antibiotic eye drops for emergency treatment. However injuries to the cornea require treatment under supervision of a ophthalmologist since cornea is a vital part of the eye very much necessary to have normal vision.
Since you have already undergone LASIK surgery also, consultation with eye specialist is necessary for examination of the eye and appropriate treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor