Was on cerazette for many years. After a break can i start again?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Birth Control
Question: after many years on cerazette i took a break around two months a go. I want to start taking it again asap. do i have to wait until my next period or can i start re-taking it straight away? if so how long do i need to take it before i can have unprotected sex again? i can not get into the gp surgery for two weeks and would like to know before if possible.

thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Cerazette is a Progestogen-only pill (POP) and ideally it has to be taken from the first day of the menstrual cycle for better protection from pregnancy.

It can also be started on any day of the cycle. The POP offers almost no benefits for the first two weeks and you may have to use any form barrier contraceptive (condoms/diaphragm) if needed to protect against unwanted pregnancy

The protection form pregnancy by Cerazette unlike some other birth control medications starts the same month if started on the day 1. The efficacy is unpredictable when started in the middle of the cycle for some duration of week.

Therefore it would be better to wait and start - timing with your period.

Hope I answered your query. Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad