Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Was in rehab for drug addition and now do not want to leave home, suffering from paranoia. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
my daughter spent 5 month in rehab for drug addition and now she is out she fells that she can't leave her flat and go out she also fells she is suffering from paranoia.can you help
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
thanks so much for the query,

It might be a bit challenging at times to deal with such circumstances. However, there are a few tips that could be very useful, and have helped a few, serious cases I have had the opportunity to deal with.

the first thing is a non medical approach, starting with identification of the closest person to which your daughter feels at ease with, trusts and loves being with. this person could give a good insight with respect to the child s main concerns and needs.

Secondly, the relationship with the doctor in the rehab centre or her caretaker is very important. key discussions with the caretaker could be useful in knowing her real concerns and what she might really want or desire. Trust and constant communication, showing concern to her and love a key XXXXXXX long lasting measures that do help, even more than medications in drug addiction.

Thirdly, its high time you make her feel she is an integral part of the family, make her realize you love her so much, make her realize how capable she is to do what soever, make her realize you got so much esteem for her and sending much time for her could be very useful. Small gestures like regular the messages to her phone, emails and gifts to show her love could change so much. Exercise and socialization could be useful.

Certain classes of drugs from the beginning could be useful. Selective serotonine Reuptake Inhibitors and Some tricyclic antidepressants could be useful. I suggest you link her up with a psychiatrist and / or psychologist. Constant communication and being with her most loved and trusted one is of vital importance.

Thanks so much and hope this helps. In case you got specific concerns, I would be most happy to make contributions for a better health for her. thanks once again and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor