Was in depression, eating too much. Burning and pressure in rectal area, abdomen and back after eating, all tests clear. Cure?

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Mon, 27 May 2013 in Depression
Question: Hi, iam female 38 years old. From January I was in depression and eating too much, I fall from stairs and strain my ankle because of that I was on rest for a month. But from march I started feeling burning and pressure in rectal area. I went to hospital they did xray, they fine me very constipated, I took laxative and felt better but, now what ever I eat I feel pressure and hardness in left side of my abdomen. I got ct scan done for abdomen and pelvic it was clear my all blood test clear. But still I can not eat any thing , when I eat right away I feel pressure on left side of my abdomen front and back pain. I have to go to bathroom four times in morning, still I don't feel fully done. All day I feel pressure like I have to go to bathroom. Plz help me.if ct clear why I need colonoscopy.
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query.

From the symptoms you have given above, it is likely that you could be suffering from an irritable bowel disease (IBS). IBS presents with bloating, abdminal cramps, mucus in stool and constipation or darrhoea. There is no real known cause but it is believe that certain food types like vegetables, chocolate, carbonated beverages etc can trigger IBS. IBS turns to be aggravated during stressful moments, affects more females and is thought to be family related.
Management include behavioral changes such as modification in diet ( avoiding food stuffs that aggravate or provoke condition, taken high fiber food, drinking a lot of fluids) , doing exercises etc.
You did mention depression but did not say if you are on antidepressants. Antidepressants are known to cause constipation.

IBS is aneclusion diagnosis however thus all other diagnosis have to be eliminated. An effective or sensitive test to evaluate the colon is colonoscopy because it gives direct visualisation of the colon mucosa. It would be a nice option to have a colonoscopy.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards
Follow up: Dr. Achuo Ascensius 22 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I also feel some time chest tightness with irregular heart beat. When I massage my chest I burp than I feel better. Back on the left side I also feel tightness up to my scapula end. When I massage back I burp I feel better. Can you suggest some foods which I eat , and they will easy for me to digest. Thank you
Just want to tell you that I get too much gas in my left body. How can I deal with it. You sound to me a intelligent doctor. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 10 hours later
thanks once more for the query.

Gas is a common finding in IBS. The feeling of chest tightness could be due to occasional dyspepsia. However, diet modification applies for both dyspepsia and IBS. Each individual has his or her food types that are a problem to him or her. You just need to be observant to pick out food types that disturb you.

Generally, carbonated drinks, spicy food, pepper, abundant vegetable, chocolate should be limited. Also, the quantity of food taken should be just enough and avoid getting excessively full. Also avoid physical activity immediately after meal and eat early in the evening giving enough time between meal and going to bed.
You should consider doing an H. pylori test which is a bacterium that causes inflammation of the gastric mucosa and could explain some of the symptoms you just describe such as tightness, pain radiating to the back and could also be the cause of dyspepsia etc.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be ready to help. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Best regards

Follow up: Dr. Achuo Ascensius 11 hours later
Actually I lost fifteen lbs in two months. Reason also is iam more active, exercise and very light diet. I am better than before, H pylori test was negative, blood tests all clear, ct scan clear. Can I wait on colonoscopy and see I get better myself. I am still constipated. I just don't want to spend more money on me. I am tired of all those tests. How long it take that I will get better. Please give me some over the counter remedy for gas and acidity. Some thing which help me to digest my food good and also help me in my bowel movement. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 22 minutes later
thanks once more for the query.

Following the persistent constipation, it will be necessary to do the colonoscopy.
Meanwhile you could take cimetidine 200mg: 1 tablet x 2 daily for 7days and Peridys ( domperidone) 10mg: 1 tablet x 3 daily for 7 days too.

Hope this helps you. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Best regards.