Was asked to extract wisdom teeth since it is growing in the wrong direction. Any suggestion?

Dr. Anshumala Singh

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Question: I had my jaw x rayed as part of my dental package and i was told that i would need to have my wisdom teeth (all 4) removed. They said that since it is not growing in the right direction, it can also cause jaw locking. Could you please confirm if the diagnosis is valid?
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 25 hours later
Brief Answer: Advised wisdom teeth removal Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. According to the history posted here,I can suggest you that there is no harm in getting wisdom teeth extracted,if they are impacted. Since your dentist had viewed the x rays and suggested you that the direction of their growth is not appropriate.Therefore it is advisable to get them extracted. If they are allowed to grow in their own direction they might cause pressure on adjacent teeth and nerves.This can cause numbness in the lower jaw area as well as trismus(lock jaw). Coming to validity of diagnosis,I would like to see the x rays, as they can show the clear picture of position of your teeth in the jaw. It would be very nice if you can attach those x XXXXXXX reports here,so that I can suggest you better regarding their eruption,duration and the amount of bone covering them. Awaiting your response. Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj